Thursday, September 19, 2013

children & the online world

hey y'all!
as you can tell, baby hb hasn't been put on this blog.  hb & i actually try to limit putting her picture up on any social media sites, but then i think...are we just postponing the invetitable?
every day, in some way, i'm sure baby hb is being photographed/videoed - in public spaces, to some extent we all are.  big brother is always watching right?
i'm always conflicted...how do i know that her picture isn't up on someone's facebook page when we all happened to be at a lacrosse game and a friend of a friend took the picture?  what will we do when she attends a birthday party and a parent takes a picture of her?  or what if a parent wants to put a class picture up?  it's one of those things that i struggle with because if some random person has it up, then why can't we allow those that love us to put pictures up?  so far, our friends and family have been so respectful of our wishes, but is it asking too much?
thoughts??

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this as well! I agree it's tough to find a happy medium. Since I don't blog under my 'real' name, I feel okay about the fact that at least it won't come up through a simple google search of my name. And I am reasonably careful about the pics and stories I post - nothing embarrassing, no baby nudity, etc. I am less concerned about a stranger stealing pics than I am about her getting teased when she gets older from stuff I posted about her online when she was a baby.

    (Also, I wanted to tell you that I responded to your question in the comments on my blog - I couldn't find your email address to respond directly!)

    ReplyDelete